Click to view larger photo or slideshow.
Click on a photo for larger view and/or a slideshow.
Click on a thumbnail to view larger photo or slideshow.Click on a thumbnail to view larger photo or slideshow.Click on a thumbnail to view larger photo or slideshow.Click on a thumbnail to view larger photo or slideshow.Click on a thumbnail to view larger photo or slideshow.Click on a thumbnail to view larger photo or slideshow.Click on a thumbnail to view larger photo or slideshow.Click on a thumbnail to view larger photo or slideshow.Click on a thumbnail to view larger photo or slideshow.Click on a thumbnail to view larger photo or slideshow.Click on a thumbnail to view larger photo or slideshow.Click on a thumbnail to view larger photo or slideshow.Click on a thumbnail to view larger photo or slideshow.Click on a thumbnail to view larger photo or slideshow.Click on a thumbnail to view larger photo or slideshow.Click on a thumbnail to view larger photo or slideshow.Click on a thumbnail to view larger photo or slideshow.Click on a thumbnail to view larger photo or slideshow.Click on a thumbnail to view larger photo or slideshow.Click on a thumbnail to view larger photo or slideshow.Click on a thumbnail to view larger photo or slideshow.Click on a thumbnail to view larger photo or slideshow.Click on a thumbnail to view larger photo or slideshow.Click on a thumbnail to view larger photo or slideshow.Click on a thumbnail to view larger photo or slideshow.

The Mission

Built in 1699, this 313-year-old home, fondly known as "The Mission", is one of the rarest and most unique offerings in all of Atlantic Canada. Built at the request of Abbe M Thury, a few miles from Grand Pre, the famous site of the expulsion of the Acadians in 1755 - 1758. In 1755 the Mission and land became property of the King of England and the Chancery. By 1760 the Township of Newport was created and the home and land was granted to two young men from Rhode Island, named Aaron Butts and George Brightman. In 1980 the property was purchased by its current owner who has meticulously restored the property. The land and buildings are an ideal location for a winery. The basement of the property is powder magazine made up of two rooms of rock walls and barrel shaped ceilings. The root cellar, with hewn beams and stone walls, is an ideal tasting room. This lower level is easily accessible through a heavy French cart wide door reinforced with iron. This property is remarkable. See virtual tour website for more details.

Asking price 
$1,995,000  $1,636,499 USD* - £1,089,470 GBP*
659 Avondale Road, Poplar Grove, Hants County

EXCLUSIVE  Exclusive  PID# 45171592
Tradewinds ID# - 7058
Refer this Property  Share this Listing
|
Steve Lumb
C: 902-476-4663 F: 902-275-3712

Property Information

  • Age:
  • 313 Years
  • Dimensions ±:
  • Irregular
  • Living Area:
  • 3800 sq.ft.
  • Bedrooms:
  • 5
  • Baths Full/Half:
  • 2/1
  • Lot Size ±:
  • 105.8 Acres
  • Assessment:
  • $527,300 (2012)
  • Sewer:
  • Septic
  • Water:
  • Drilled Well
  • Zoning:
  • Rural
  • Heating:
  • Electric/Wood
  • Basement:
  • Partially Developed/Full/Stone/Walkout
  • Garage/Other:
  • Detached/Triple/Heated/Parking

Room Sizes

  • Kitchen
  • 18' x 20'
  • Dining Room
  • 15'7 x 20'
  • Family Room
  • 19'3 x 24'9
  • Den/Office
  • 16'9 x 25'4
  • Library
  • 16'9 x 25'4
  • Foyer
  • 10'3 x 16'4
  • Master Bedroom
  • 25' x 25'
  • Ensuite
  • 5 pc
  • Bedroom
  • 16' x 16' + Jog
  • Bedroom
  • 12' x 23'
  • Bath
  • 4 pc

Additional Features

*Deck/Patio
*Alarm System
*In-ground Pool
*Fireplace
*Gas Stove
*Air Jet Tub

Remarks

Appliances and most furnishings negotiable.
Antler chandelier in great room and in the church are excluded.


Directions

Highway 101 west to Exit 5 for NS Trunk 14 toward Highway 1 (Windsor/Chester/Three Mile Plains). Turn right on NS-14 east. Turn left on Avondale Road and stay left to remain on Avondale Road. House on the right.